What students need to know about voting

Photo courtesy of Hannah Shepard-Moore.

Story by Cole Johnson, Staff Writer

Senior Chris Mobley is looking forward to one big thing: being able to vote!

“I’ll be 18 in a few months, but I will vote to make sure I have a say in everything,” Mobley said.

Voting is a big deal, and here is everything you need to know in order to vote.

Who Can Vote?

In order to vote in the United States you must be a U.S citizen, registered to vote, and at least 18 years old.

How Do I Register?

You can register to vote during early voting, or one-stop voting, on the same day as the election by showing your drivers’ license.

How Do I Vote?

If you registered ahead of time, go to your polling place, which you can find on meckboe.org. If you do one-stop voting, you will vote in the early voting location. You will then wait your turn to vote. A volunteer will select the proper ballot on the voting machine for you,. In primaries you will vote for candidates from your political party If you are unaffiliated you can vote for either party without having to join it. During the general election, which is the upcoming election, you can vote for either side. To actually vote select candidates by touching their names. Candidates can be written in by selecting the the write-in line and typing a name.

What Do I Need?

If it is your first time voting you will need a photo ID to prove that it’s you.

When Do I Vote?

You can vote early or on the day of the election, Tue. Nov. 8, as long as you meet the requirements the day of. For instance, if you turn 18 the day of the election and have registered you are eligible to vote. Times for polling stations will be open from 6:30 AM until 7:30 PM, if you are in line at 7:30 you will be allowed to vote. If you are absent and can not make the poll due to being in the hospital, out of town, or in the military, you can request an absentee ballot from the Board of Elections to vote.

Where Do I Vote?

You can vote early starting Thu. Oct. 27 until Sat. Nov. 5 at several locations including Independence Regional Library which is right across the street from the school. If you vote on election day you will vote where your home precinct is.