Student band “Vint” vent feelings through music

Story by Julia Pharr, Staff Writer

Everyone reacts differently when they get angry. Some people may punch walls, some may take it out on others, and a few write music.

The student run, hard rock band Vint, which was started by juniors: Colin Read and Reggie Stuart, has lots of experience with turning their anger into songs.

The band was only a fantasy of Read’s imagination in middle school, but those dreams became a reality not long after he finished the eighth grade.

“We all came together through mutual friends,” Read said. “After jamming together for a while it just kinda happened… then it became more of an official thing.”

The members of the band who attend East Meck are lead guitarist Colin Read, bass player Reggie Stuart, and Will Burgin lead vocalist. The drummer, Tyler English, goes to Weddington High.

The name “Vint” originated through Read and English. They wanted the band name to be a representation of the venting that goes into their music, so they changed the spelling of the word vent.

“We write about a lot of things,” Read said, “but a major source of what we write about is what makes us get angry and want to vent.”

Their most popular song is called “Keepin’ On.” It is about moving on when bad things happen and getting through difficult times.

“It’s not as heavy and pretty catchy,” Read said. “Its got the mass appeal we try to go for.”

Burgin, the last of the crew to join the band, said that his love for music pushed him to join. Burgin has performed with other bands in the past and is a part of the school Chamber Choir, a select group of individuals that perform the highest level of choral music.

“I personally like the atmosphere of performing with a rock band more,” Burgin said. “It’s less structured and there is definitely a different crowd vibe.”

Read writes all the songs, but Burgin is excited to help out.

“Overall, they are a great group of guys and I can collaborate with them well,” Burgin said.

Practices are held at English’s house in Weddington, usually one to two times a week. Recording is done in a studio in the basement.

There are several differences between a part-time band made up of high-school aged kids and a full-time band with adult members, but the members of Vint have worked hard to set aside time to practice and write songs.

“The most challenging thing is getting everyone to practice at the same time, especially because we go to different schools and have conflicting schedules,” Read said.

As far as gigs go, they have played three major events at venues such as Amos’ at Southend and Fiesta Rodeo in Statesville.

“I would say it’s a pretty unique and exhilarating experience to play for people and have them enjoy it,” Read said.

The crowd at Vint’s shows is usually made up of music-lovers and people from other rock bands. Their ages generally range from high school age to mid-20s.

“In the future we want to open for some local shows and work our way up from there,” Read said.