Eagles worked the Wildcats at homecoming

Photo+by+Elise+Palmer.+

Photo by Elise Palmer.

Story by Miracle Okoro, Senior Staff Writer

Teachers vs. Cheerleaders lip sync battle, unbelievable football scores, Eagle pride, a lot of music, tricycle riding adults, club relay racing and a Juju dance presentation from the Dream Team. That pretty much wraps up homecoming last Friday.

The hype was unquenchable, as East Meck celebrated homecoming Oct. 21. Friday marked the end of the spirit week with an incredible show of school pride as students walked around in blue and gold–even going as far as painting the school colors on their faces.

Teachers and students enjoyed a surge of Eagle pride, fun and laughter during the pep rally, beginning with a well-received performance of the National Anthem by senior Emely Barahona.

The rivalry between classes came to light as each grade level attempted to cheer the loudest, but all were unified as one when it came to showing support for principal Rick Parker, and assistant principal Phillip Price. Parker heads floated around the student section ,and a giant Price head also made its way through the stands.

The homecoming hype really hit a high Friday night during the football game against the Garinger Wildcats. Students and parents cheered enthusiastically despite the biting 18 mph winds and the chilly temperatures. The atmosphere of support and well executed football performances kept a blanket of warmth over the crowd.

The incredible success of the football team kept the band on their toes as they accompanied the masses with an endless playlists of music, including songs like “Uptown Funk”, “All I Do Is Win”,and “Don’t Stop Believing.”

“We are beating them like a drum,” Price said as he surveyed the scene with a cheerful smile.

The music and cheers were not in vain. Within the first three minutes of the game the Eagles had already scored eight points. By the end of the first quarter the score was 29-0 and by halftime the Eagles were leading 56-6.

The halftime show began with a warm introduction of Parker and members of the homecoming court by WSOC-TV news anchor Erica Bryant. Each of the homecoming princesses was escorted by a loved one through the arc of swords held up by the JROTC saber team. After a big welcome by the student body Bryant announced senior Shebryea Smalls as the first runner-up and senior Nia Goodman as the 2016- 2017 homecoming queen. Homecoming queen for the 2015-2016 school year Destiny Ratchford crowned Goodman with the title amid praises and cheers.

“She is passing down the torch,” Bryant said.

Halftime ended with a spectacular display of fireworks.

During the second half of the game Garinger made an effort to step up their game but the Eagles continued to dominate both offensively and defensively.

The 70-6 victory broke the school record for the most points scored in a single game. Junior Khamal Howard also set school records by running 21 times for 308 yards and scoring five touchdowns. He tied for 22nd best single-game performance in county history.

Latin teacher and assistant football coach William Oates was very pleased with the outcome of the game.
“Venerunt, Vidimus, Vicimus,” he said. “They came, we saw, we conquered.”