EmpowHERment summit to be held at East Meck

Story by Ashleigh Fields, News Correspondent

East Meck will host 300 girls in grades 6-12 on the morning of Sept. 16. An annual program entitled “EmpowHERment” has decided to make East Meck its new home.

EmpowHERment is a non-profit organization that was founded in Charlotte, NC to empower girls through mentor ship, talent development and advocacy. In 2012, a small group of women and young girls gathered to discuss the power they have and afterwards decided it was something that all women should have the opportunity to learn. These women set out to create a movement, and EmpowHERment was born.

EmpowHERment serves as a year long mentoring program but the annual summit is still the major cornerstone of the organization. The summit includes a fun day full of mentor ship offered from other organizations in Charlotte’s community based on a designated theme. This years summit theme is #BeBoldForChange.

Sophomore Morgan Kelson attended last year’s event and is excited for the summit this weekend.

“I loved attending last year’s EmpowHERment summit. I learned so much and met so many talented girls. From the sound of this years theme I should learn a lot more,” Kelson said, “I just want others to join and engage in important conversations.”

The girls who attend the summit on Saturday will participate in panel discussions to generate powerful conversations. In the past, influential women such as county manager, Dena Diorio, Mayor Jennifer Roberts and roboticist, Raquel Velez have served on the panel.

In addition to the panel discussion, team building activities and career exploration opportunities will be offered. After the morning session of the summit there will be an afternoon breakout session on philanthropy, civic engagement, and personal branding.  

The event will conclude with snacks, journals and an EmpowHERment t-shirt for participants.

To learn more about EmpowHERment and to register for the 2017 annual summit, visit http://www.empowherment.com .