CMS Superintendent gives formal address at East Meck

Photo by Ashleigh Fields

Superintendent Clayton Wilcox gives a formal address at East.

Story by Ashleigh Fields, Online Editor-In-Chief

Monday, August 27th will forever be remembered as a, ‘smooth first day’ in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools history. For the administration at East Meck, it will be remembered as a chance to meet and listen to possible opportunities for the 2018-19 school year.

Yesterday at around 11 o’clock, CMS superintendent, Dr. Clayton Wilcox chose to give his formal press conference at East Mecklenburg High. With a short and sweet introduction from Principal Richard Parker, Dr. Wilcox was able to give his opening remarks as reporters and administrative staff actively took notes.

One of the first things, Dr. Wilcox mentioned was a small obstacle set forth every morning for parents and students: transportation. He mentioned that the number of bus drivers was unusually low due to absences. Wilcox also stated that late buses were another notable problem.

On the first day over 1,088 buses traveled roughly 125,000 miles to get students to school.

As of now, CMS is short of approximately 66 drivers and 43 teaching positions. The district is expecting over 147,000 students this year.

The teacher shortage continues to raise multiple questions due to the fact that this year CMS has opened three new schools. They include, Charlotte East Language Academy, Villa Heights Elementary and Wilson Middle. However, Dr. Wilcox has proclaimed nothing but excellent remarks about their first days.

As his term in office continues, he continues to hold every school accountable in the area of equity.

“Today was a solid start,” he said. “We must focus on equity and excellence all year.”

When speaking to the lift academy’s and how they will be phased out he exclaims that they have increased funding and research at each of the schools for their last year. He wants to make sure that the district is able to retain the methods used at these schools and communities to go above and beyond for students.

Dr. Wilcox is a firm believer that the school districts successful first day is a testament to the staff and members of the community.

“The community and staff have worked so hard and it shows on these campuses,” Wilcox said. “It’s a fantastic testament to community and the power of collaboration.”