Women of Lockerbie shine at the Silver Auditorium

Story by Ashleigh Fields, Online Editor-In-Chief

Theatre teacher, Bernadette Macleod has brought yet another amazing play to the Silver Auditorium at East Meck. On the nights of Oct. 24 and 25, higher level drama students performed in the play, “Women of Lockerbie.”

The play follows a heart broken mother from New Jersey who lost her son in the unfortunate plane crash of Pan Am 103. Julianna Kantor starred as the mother, Madeline Livingston who roams the hills of Lockerbie, Scotland for her dead son’s remains. Senior Curtis Jones was the supporting actor, Bill Livingston, Madeline’s husband.

“They had a great dynamic and worked very well together acting as husband and wife. It was fun watching them get out of their comfort zones to truly embody their characters” said fellow senior cast member, Max Fennell.

The couple engage in intense arguments over how one should grieve after losing a loved one. While searching for their son they meet the passionate women of Lockerbie, a group led by the character Olivia Allison. Senior, Olivia Howard starred as Allison who leads the women of Lockerbie in the ‘Laundry Project.’

Through the ‘Laundry Project,’ Allison is hoping to bring healing to the entire town by gathering to wash the clothes of the dead and return them to the victims’ families. She wants to overcome an act of hatred with love.

Overall the play was phenomenal with unexpected twists and turns which evoked an extremely emotional response from the audience each night.