More than 100 CMS schools report COVID-19 cases in first two weeks of return

Story by Joys Lutwangu, Staff Writer

More than 100 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools have reported COVID-19 cases in the first two weeks of the return to Plan B in spite of precautionary measures. 

The plan, which allowed K-8 students to attend in-person instruction twice a week within a rotation. Although precautionary measures were taken, such as having less than half of the students within a classroom, enforcing mask use and checking temperature before entering the building,102 CMS schools have reported positive COVID-19 cases.

Out of the 41,800 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools students who attended in-person instruction between Nov. 25 and Dec. 4, there have been 67 reported COVID-19 cases. And of the 19,000 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools employees who worked between those dates, 94 of them tested positive. At least 51 schools have confirmed one or more positive cases. 

In light of the positive cases, as well as the county’s cases continuing to rise with a test positivity rate of 10.9%, CMS board members met Dec. 8 to once again change their plans for in-person instruction. The vote was 6-3 in favor of K-12 students staying in (or in some cases, returning to) remote learning until Jan. 19. The original plan was for all K-12 students (excluding those in the full-remote academy and those with special needs) to be back for full rotation by Jan. 5 

Those East Meck students who are scheduled for testing between Dec. 14 and 18 are still expected to come in person for those days but those who cannot do so have the option to take an incomplete on the test during that testing period and make up the test later in the semester, before June 1.