The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Women’s wrestling soon to debut at East

Wrestling coach Demetrius Gray has recently been on the hunt for female athletes to join women’s wrestling, the newest addition to East Meck athletics.

There will be an interest meeting on October 19th in room 402, which should hopefully peak the interest of many women around the school. Gray expects a great turnout for tryouts, anticipating 15-20 people to show up. Gray believes that this is a big leap for female athletes in women’s sports. He believes this program is a perfect addition to East athletics and will open opportunities for the females interested in wrestling. 

For the 23-24 season Gray says that there are four great prospects that have a shot at states and more. Sophomores Xanenah Tucker, Sandy Arango Garcia, Aaliyah Paig and freshman Lila Lackey. This new evolution of athletics at East will allow for women to participate in more hardcore sports and to be seen as less weak.

“Women’s wrestling is definitely needed at East Meck,” Gray said. “It isn’t just a powder puff sport, here our female athletes can show how strong they really are”.

There are also many scholarships that can be awarded to high ranking female wrestlers. Gray believes that there is a bright future for this program and it will forever impact East and women’s sports in general.