The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Parents Bill of Rights makes students feel unheard

Photo by Leyla Bonilla-Forgacs
Georgia Hair(right) Izzy Stanton(middle) and Milo Polk(left). Just a few of the students affected by SB49.

Many would agree that having their parents know everything they do in school would be nothing short of a nightmare. However, that nightmare is becoming reality with the passing of Senate Bill 49 (SB49).

Also known as the Parents’ Bill of Rights, SB49 was made into law on Aug 16 and applies to all North Carolina (NC) schools. It allows parents to petition to ban class content, learn about school clubs, see what their children check out from the library and seek exemptions from vaccine requirements. In addition, schools also now need parental consent for students to take confidential surveys and are required to inform parents of any change in a student’s name or pronoun usage.

Brooke Weiss, the chapter chair for Mecklenburg county’s ‘Moms for Liberty’ is in full support of these new requirements and even thinks that the bill does not do enough to give parents influence over their childs’ educational experience. 

“We believe that parents have a fundamental right to raise their children according to their own values which includes directing their education,” Weiss said. “We are already working with legislators to address shortcomings in the PBOR and discussing other issues on our legislative agenda for the NCGA short session in the spring.”

On the other hand, students are not as happy about SB49. Many transgender students in particular are worried that this bill could lead to them being put in danger due to their parents not being accepting. 

“Some of my family isn’t very supportive,” junior Alondra Garcia said. “It’s a scary experience for me because I haven’t come out to my dad or my grandmother. So if they find out that I am who I am, then I fear for myself because I don’t know if they’ll be disappointed or disown me for who I want to be.”

SB49 does have protections in place for scenarios like this. The only exception to this policy is if there is probable cause that disclosing such information could lead to a student being abused or neglected. That said, teachers are having a hard time figuring out how to identify probable cause.

“Unless I have had some kind of personal interaction with the parents, that’s where that probable cause is going to come from,” civics teacher Bryan Crigger said. “The only other thing I would be able to do if it’s a dangerous situation for them is use whatever name is in my roster on PowerSchool. At which point I legally do not have to contact home.” 

Many are not satisfied with this alternative however. For junior Moss Stewart it’s about more than just a name and pronouns.

“I suffered with dissociating and often felt like I couldn’t see “me” in the mirror,” Stewart said. “When I started to dress more androgynous and wear my hair short it was comforting to me. I realized that while I was quite fluid in how I expressed myself I was way more comfortable being non-binary than a girl. I have been able to find comfort in myself and no longer feel trapped.”

This part of the bill is easily causing the most division. Though it’s impossible to say what lies ahead for NC schools a few things are certain. Moms for Liberty intends to continue working to make SB49 stronger and activist groups within East and beyond are working to show their disaproval of the bill and offer safe spaces for the students being affected.

“No matter how it may seem in the moment there will always be a light in life,” GSA co-president Mel Morel said. “There’s always someone or something you can rely on. That is one of the main ideals I have for GSA this year considering all of the hate surrounding our community.”

“This type of hatred is not new, it’s ingrained in our society,” trans student union co-founder and co-director Georgia Hair said. “But if we learn to look past our differences, we can make changes. Hope is our strongest weapon.”

Link to CMS parents bill of rights website