The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

With new talent and teamwork, East Meck basketball looks to dominate the season

Sophomore Jordan Buzzard blocks a shot by a Palisades player (Photo courtesy of @shotbyg7 on Instagram)

With star transfer Bryson Heath leading the way, the East Mecklenburg Eagles men’s basketball team is off to a hot start. Obtaining a current record of 3-1 two weeks into their 2023-2024 season, they team is looking to keep their hot streak rolling.

In commanding fashion, the Eagles have dominated in each of their victories thus far, beating Porter Ridge high school most recently with a whopping score of 88-47. “To be honest, I’m not even surprised,” sophomore Saul Lieberman said. “We have been working out every day since summer so our chemistry is above where it would’ve been.”

The ball movement and collective teamwork that the team has shown through the young season is a great sign for the Eagles. It looks to be a more unselfish team than others that East has had in the past, with great help defense and an abundance of assists made on the offensive end of the floor. “Our execution on offense is better than I thought it would be,” sophomore Jordan Buzzard said. “Especially Bryson, he’s been going crazy.”

Junior Derrick Rupert makes a defensive stop, blocking a layup. (Photo courtesy of @shotbyg7)

Scoring 25 points in his first outing as an Eagle, Bryson Heath has been the unstoppable force for East. He has taken matters into his own hands on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court and facilitated the game amazingly through the first 4 contests of the season.

Overall, if the eagles want to keep their hot streak going they need to keep the unselfish nature that they have had as a team. This will lead to open passes and an abundance of opportunities for players like Buzzard and Heath to get open on offense.

The Eagles next game will be Friday, December 1st as they go to Indian trail to take on Sun Valley high school.