The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Despite injuries, Lady Eagles continue to fly

Sophomore Mackenna Weisner takes her shot (Photo courtesy of Griffin Zetterberg)

With numerous injuries, the Varsity Lady Eagles have been understaffed in players for the start of their season. Players including senior Presence Downer and sophomore Journey Darling, were missing from the first three games, leaving the team struggling with player depth. With these experienced players out, some JV players had the opportunity to cover positions. 

Despite this misfortune the Lady Eagles won their first game against Philip O Berry 37-21. This was the first time in 5 years that the Women’s Varsity has won the first game of the season. This game showed great improvement in the overall chemistry of the team from last year, and highlighted some players including Jade Marshall who scored 12 points.

Lady Eagles celebrate a goal at Piedmont game (Photo courtesy of Griffin Zetterberg)

The following four games the Eagles have lost, including 2 games over thanksgiving break. This losing streak was broken this Tuesday against Piedmont. This game was the first home game of the season having Downer and Darling playing. Unfortunately injuries have taken senior Celeste Domenech and Cece Ligon out of the game until January. 

After the victory, senior Cameron Ausman was interviewed by WCCB and talked about what the keys were to their success in the game. She emphasized how the lead increased in the second half when the energy and intensity increased. The Eagles expect to keep this same winning energy going into the game against Rocky River this Friday.

Senior Cameron Ausman being interviewed by WCCB (Photo courtesy of Griffin Zetterberg)