The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

When sports betting, does risks outweight the rewards?

Photo by Logan Parsons
Student looking at their winnings from last night.

In today’s world there are a plethora of ways for teens to fall to addiction. Whether it be drugs, alcohol, or even technology, Generation Z is more susceptible than ever before. But what if someone told you that there was something a lot more sinister that high school students are doing now that they were never able to do before.

The rapid growth of online sports betting apps in recent years has given high school students the opportunity to put their own money at stake and gamble. Prize Picks, being the main culprit, has become increasingly popular as of late and is attracting the younger generation with the hope of getting easy wins and quick money.

“I found out about Prize Picks on TikTok,” senior Ahmad Fitts said. “But like recently, to be honest, I’ve been seeing it more promoted when I’m watching games on my TV.”

Teenagers, who are still in the developmental stages of their lives, are very vulnerable to the temptation of betting. The accessibility and constant promotion of the apps online, paired with the excitement of predicting sports games, has created an environment where teens can easily form a gambling addiction.

“When I first got the app, Prize Picks gave me some type of a promo that told me I could get my money back even if I lost the bet,” senior Nebi Habte said. “It made me want to put a lot of money in because I knew I was going to take it out afterwards, but then I lost all of it and put more money in a few days later.”

Studies have shown that developing brains are more prone to risky behaviors, and starting to engage in gambling at an early age can lead to lots of long term negative consequences.

One of the significant concerns surrounding sports betting apps like Prize Picks is the normalization of gambling behavior among teens. Many content creators and figures that teens look up to glamorize the times they win and downplay the risks, creating the illusion that betting is an easy way to get your money up fast. 

“This dude I follow on Twitter was winning on bets every time I saw him post,” Senior Daniel Herrera said. “It’s crazy because I subscribed to his Discord for like $15 a month so I could make the same bets as him, but after a few weeks I realized that most of it was fake and he didn’t win half the time.”

The addictiveness of these apps is unparalleled. Every time you win, it makes you want to repeat the behavior more and more. Like drugs and alcohol, it releases a ton of dopamine into your system. This leads to kids finding themselves trapped in a cycle of chasing wins, even when they are down hundreds of dollars. 

“Every time I lose I make a new parlay to get my money back to what I had before,” Senior Nolan Anderson said. “It makes me do stupid stuff and I end up losing even more money on the nights my original bet doesn’t hit.”

High schoolers in particular are vulnerable to the influence of their peers. The social aspect of sports betting where friends share tips, strategies, or talk about recent wins, can create a sense of belonging and acceptance. As teens try to fit in and be part of the conversation, they might follow the risky behavior without fully understanding the consequences of it.

The normalization of gambling is greater than ever and the consequences of reinforcing this addictive behavior is severe and long lasting when teens start at a young age. Just like anything else in life, moderation is key, otherwise you could end up in a never-ending cycle of trying to win your money back.

“I had to delete the app,” senior Jackson O’Daniel said.