The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Young talent leads to best baseball record since 2001

Photo by Ben Hanley
Gabe Johnson celebrates victory.

With only three seniors returning to the East Meck Baseball team after the 2022–2023 season, and multiple star players heading to the collegiate level, the Eagles were beyond all means expected to get a lot worse over the offseason. However, over 20 games and a record of 15-5 so far this season, they have proven the complete and total opposite.

For the first time in a long time, the Eagles baseball team is a strong contender to make the playoffs. The main jump in progress, being the extremely deep and talented class of sophomores that were brought in the year prior, who have bolstered the Eagles at every level.

“All of them grew up a lot since most of them were on JV last year,” Senior Woody Gray said. “We wouldn’t be winning like we are right now if each of them weren’t stepping up.”

Sophomores Mitchel Chapman and Jacob Addison have been an instrumental tandem for the team’s pitching this year. Addison, who is the team’s strongest pitcher, starts most games for the Eagles and also leads the team in strikeouts. 

Liam Parsons, Jacob Addison and Jeremiah Golden share a moment during a baseball game. (Photo by Griffin Zetterberg )

“I’d say that consistency is what makes him successful,” coach Clint Koppe said. “Compare Jacob to last year’s pitching staff and the main thing you can say is he throws more strikes.”

It gets even better for the Eagles hitting the ball. Sophomore Liam Parsons who leads off for the team, has one of the best on base percentages in the Southwestern 4A conference and has a whopping 8 doubles this season, which is good for the most on the team. But that’s not all, he also has 14 stolen bases which ranks first in the conference, making him a threat for opponents at the plate and on the bases.

“It’s really important to have a lead off guy who can consistently get on base because it kind of sets the tone for an inning or the beginning of a game,” Koppe said. ”But to have someone who can both hit lead off for us and protect the other team’s run game as a catcher is special.”

Parsons isn’t the only sophomore hitting great this season, Anthony Mosher has racked up the most home runs on the team this year while also leading the team in slugging percentage. Creating a problem for teams when he is up to bat against them.

“Anthony can change the game so quickly if the team we’re playing isn’t careful against him because he can hit the ball through the trees when he makes contact.” Senior Max Wine said. “He’s definitely the most powerful hitter we have on the team.”

Another pleasant surprise for the Eagles this year has been Sophomore Gabe Johnson, who has played outstanding in centerfield and on the mound. With the best fielding percentage on the team, Johnson has been elite for the team on the defensive side of the ball, snagging any ball in his direction.

Anthony Mosher and teammate interlock arms. (Photo by Brian Do)

However that’s not all he does, Johnson’s pitching has also been extremely impressive to close out tight games for the eagles. “He pitches harder than anyone on the team so I think when he’s on the mound it catches the teams we play off guard,” Parsons said. “When he can put the ball where he wants to put it, he’s scary.”

The combination of all of these young talented players together builds an extremely solid base for the next few years of East meck baseball, something that the team has been looking for for years. 

“When I saw the freshman class last year my goal was to keep them together,  which meant they were going to play a JV season together,” Koppe said. “But as the season wore on in 2023, we saw the talent that they had so we tried to give them experience at the varsity level that season.” 

“We threw them against providence and some of the best teams in the state and they held their own and proved to us that they could do it,” Koppe said. “They played their way up and earned their spots and it’s paying dividends this year because of that experience they gained.”

Since 2001, the Eagles have only eclipsed 15 wins in a season once. This year they have met the 15 win mark with four games left to play in the season, likely meaning that they will go down as one of the best teams in East Meck history. 

“This will be the most wins I’ve ever had as a head coach,” Koppe said.