The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Track celebrates a successful season this school year

Photo by Madeline Topham
East Meck girl’s team races against Myers Park.

There is one sport that truly represents what it means to be an East Meck Eagle, that is the track team. With the previous years bringing lots of success for events like the 4×4 and 500. 

The 4×4 is an event where 4 people run 100 yards. These events are crucial to East’s recent successes. East Meck Track & Field continues to raise the bar as to what they can accomplish. 

Last year, East’s four by four event made it to states. Now, they are ranked 11th in the country. 

“We had a lot of vital seniors graduate last year that would help out with a lot of relays,” says senior Marcus Mason. One might think this would put the team at a disadvantage, but instead it seems to be doing the exact opposite. 

Students trade the baton during a race. (Photo by Madeline Topham )

There have been some adjustments to the team dynamic with such a huge senior class leaving and hoping for success this season, ”I would say it was a lot more serious and this year we are way more focused on our goals but we are actually having a lot more fun doing it” says Mason. 

There has been a huge influx of incoming freshmen that have bolstered the team to one of their best seasons in recent history. Freshman Micah Joy is ranked as the #1 freshman for his age in the country for showing a promising future, despite only having run for 3 years.

Being ranked as number one in the country Micah has high aspirations “I stay motivated by always having my ultimate goal of going D1, my coaches help a lot by keeping me focused,” said. 

Coaching is a crucial part of this sport. ”Most of the top kids who are ranked in North Carolina and in the country train with our coach,” said Mason. This shows that the East has some of the best coaches in the state in order to support the talent that our team has.

Andrew Holt races at East (Photo by Madeline Topham )

The key to a successful season is for each player to set goals for themselves and the team as a whole. ”This season I’m excited to see all the new people grow and work towards our team goal of winning awards in conference,” said Joy. 

Team bonding is also a big factor in growing connections between your teammates. “We went on a lot of trips before the track season and we were able to form bonds that we wouldn’t be able to during the season,” said Mason. This helps to keep teammates accountable when you have a closer bond with them.

As the team is finishing off their season they strive to move farther in conference and represent East with pride.