The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Cafe 495 teaching life skills and serving treats

East’s very own Cafe 495 have put their talents together, giving faculty members a smile on their face and some delicious treats in their belly. But this is no ordinary cafe, this student-run  program is taking this opportunity to learn to take orders, prepare food. Customer service is also a big part of keeping the Cafe running smoothly. Operating for almost two years now, the Cafe has achieved remarkable success. 

There are times when teachers feel under appreciated and that can really take a toll on them. East students found an opportunity to give teachers delicious treats for their own enjoyment. 

Student carries breakfast to staff (Photo by East Meck Phojo)

With the help of Tori Patterson and Alex Peebles, Cafe 495 is a mainly student-run program created by the Occupational Course of Study (OCS) program. With the aim of teaching students essential life skills, Cafe 495 has become a hub of activity. Though it’s sometimes nerve-wracking for those involved, they still pull through with great success.

However, being a student-run program comes with its own set of challenges. As the students rely on their supplies for their operations, they face the disadvantage of people using their supplies without permission.  “We have to find different donors for funding or it has to come out of our pockets,” said Patterson. Despite these difficulties, they bounce back with immense energy. In an effort to overcome this hurdle, Café 495 kindly requests donations of one of their supplies instead of a monetary donation.

Room 201 is where all the action takes place. Complete with a bed, kitchen appliances and a fridge, the OCS students prepare for deliveries. They organize and assign orders according to the building and teacher. After everything is settled, the deliveries are set in motion!

Staff, students, and teachers shared their thoughts and positive experiences. Teacher, Tanja Buchanan, expressed her love for the program. “I’m pleased that it benefits both the teachers and the students. I’m glad that my orders help with the students’ social skills.” said Buchanan.

Jessica Rodriguez, a staff member who regularly orders from Cafe 495, shared her positive experiences. She praised the program with great enthusiasm. “My experience has been great. I mean they put out a Google Form. It’s very convenient.” 

Cafe 495 ingredient cabinet (Photo by East Meck Phojo)

Rodriguez appreciates the chance to interact with the students when they deliver her orders. “I think it’s a great program they started for the students to get out of their comfort zone, talk and speak up and not necessarily use their manners but their customer service skills,” said Rodriguez.

Bryan Crigger, a teacher who eagerly awaits his coffee deliveries, finds Cafe 495 to be a fun and valuable experience for the students. “I’m very happy and excited to get coffee in the morning. Honestly, it’s my favorite part of the week.” 

As a teacher originally from another school, he expresses his excitement about this unique opportunity. “Really, I was surprised to find out that something like that was really happening! At my other schools, they didn’t have this, ” said Crigger.  

Speaking with the students, it is clear that making deliveries and interacting with teachers brings them joy and a sense of accomplishment. Freshman Mia Mendes made her appreciation known when she explained her part in Cafe 495. “It makes me feel good. I get to make the coffee and tea and we all benefit from the Cafe. We get to work on our communication and we meet new people and teachers.”  

Senior Trinity Stevenson shows her passion for the Cafe too. “I enjoy making the stuff and delivering it to the teachers and making them happy.” Stevenson said. “I think it’s good how the teachers help us. When we mess up, Ms. Patterson or Mr. Peebles corrects us. And if our classmates see something wrong, we help each other out and we get the job done.” 

Patterson, the head teacher in charge of Cafe 495, highlighted the inspiration of the Cafe. “They have to have hours in order to graduate. And the hours have to be hands-on,” Patterson said. “Cafe 495 was created as a way to get them to learn more work skills and to go out into the real world.” 

With a passion for supporting young minds, Patterson seized the moment to bring her own vibe into Cafe 495. She uses her own methods to make students feel at ease. Playing music helps set the mood, creating a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. She approaches students as equals, without a condescending or judgmental attitude. “I’ll play my music to encourage the vibe where I’ll talk to them as a person and not looking down on them because they’re younger. We’re all humans who deserve that same respect.” she emphasized.

Patterson reveals her vision for an ideal Cafe. “If I had unlimited resources, I would definitely make sure we have all of our items.” Patterson said. “I would add more things to the menu. Like lattes, which take espresso, or like cold foam and stuff like that.” 

Though previously doubtful, Alex Peebles had a change of heart. He realized that Cafe 495 should have as much help to make this Cafe the best it could be. “I honestly didn’t know how well the students would do with it. But I thought it was really cool that we got a chance to do it because I learned how it could apply to life outside of school and beyond.” Peebles said. 

Teachers are also unexpectedly learning new skills for everyday life. “Overall, I’ve learned to be appreciative of the little things.”said teacher, Kimber Corson 

Through their hard work and dedication, the students of Easts’ OCS program are creating a warm and welcoming environment for both teachers and themselves. With each delivery, Cafe 495 continues to bring smiles and leave a lasting impact on everyone involved.