Your 2019 HOCO recap

Story by Jacob Phillips, Online Editor

East Meck hosted its annual homecoming dance on Oct.12. This year’s theme was haunted hoco and featured decorations that reminded everyone of a spooky Halloween night. A giant spider on the door and webs all around the dance truly felt made it feel like a Halloween party.

“We wanted to do haunted Hoco for years now, but the previous advisor said it was tacky,” Student Congress president Luz Garcia said. “This year Hoco was in October and the time just fit and we had the vibes to do it,”

The dance featured songs like Turn Down For What, Suge, Apple Bottom Jeans, and many other songs both new and old. 

“When choosing the songs we wanted to let the student body have an input so we made a form to let them recommend songs,” Garcia said. 

The event was the conclusion of spirit week. All week the school planned events and days in which students could show off their school spirit. Each day featured different spirit themes. There was clone day, athletes vs mathletes, Jersday, and East Meck spirit day. The person who showed the most school spirit on each day won a free ticket to the HOCO dance.

“This year we wanted to encourage the student body to participate in spirit week,” Garcia said. “This year we noticed the dance was gaining attention around the school, and we thought we can encourage students to participate if we offered a free ticket,”

Then on Friday, Congress hosted a pep rally and was led by the host of The Morning Madhouse No Limit Larry. The pep rally had events such as a tug of war, a flip off, and a relay race run by some teachers including Mr. Parker.  It concluded with all the students and faculty coming together in arms to celebrate our school.

“This year we tried to the pep rally differently. In recent years the students weren’t hype enough like we’d like so we brought in No Limit Larry,” Garcia said. 

No Limit Larry has close ties to East Meck. He is an former East Meck student and is friends with the congress advisor Robin Cluse, he is also the uncle of a student at East.

“No Limit Larry provided great energy and really hyped the crowd up making the event better,” Garcia said.

That night East Meck faced off against Garinger, and while the Eagles were unable to come up with a win many students and alumni showed up to cheer on the team. At halftime students and parents watched on as the homecoming queen and runner up was announced. Laila Norman took the crown with Anneliese Hohm coming in 2nd place.