The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Students leap at the opportunity to join dance class

Photo by Leyla Bonilla-Forgacs
Dance students stretching as class begins

A new dance class at East Meck recently landed in the nest. The dance class sparked curiosity with the students and teachers. People, even those who don’t know how to dance, want to know more.

When sophomore Nyla Wells found out about the new dance class at East, she excitedly went to join. As someone who had danced her whole life, she saw the dance class as a new opportunity to gain experience in the skill. “It was a chance for me to get some training in school and outside of school as well,” Wells said. Wells sees dance as a way to communicate her feelings without speaking words, instead through movement. 

The dance class is offered all year by Rebecca Messer, East’s new dance teacher. She grew up in Miami. Messer moved to Charlotte in 2015, loving the proximity to the places around. She started teaching dance at 14 years old in Miami. The thing she loves the most about teaching dance is the relationships she builds with her students. 

The dance class has four levels of expertise: beginner, intermediate, proficient and advanced. All students are able to join the class even if they have no experience. The beginning level starts with fundamentals, terminology, movement and choreography. The class begins with basic ballet, modern, jazz, and contemporary, then moves into other styles of dance like tap. “We always do a little bit of a lot,” Messer said. 

Dance is an intimate form of art where students learn to create new relationships. Students learn to build a foundation of trust with the teacher and the students around them. It’s a class where the dancers don’t need a chromebook or textbook, and are encouraged to get up and collaborate with other students. The class taught at East is another way to build stronger bonds with the people around you. Dance class has been a way for Nyla Wells to create stronger bonds with her friends “It’s like one big friend group!” Wells said. 

Dance is a form of expression. To Messer, dance is a way to express yourself when you don’t have the words to do it. Dance class is a way you can communicate how you feel visually. Through dance you’re able to connect to yourself and others with movement.

“They are a place you can kind of turn your academic brain off and turn your arts brain on,” Messer said. You’re able to explore the arts and find yourself in a way you might’ve never thought you could. Teenagers can escape their struggles and show how they can get it off their chests. To many, dance is a way to escape negativity, an all around stress reliever.

“You feel a lot better throughout the day,” sophomore Paulina Mercado Moreno said. To many other students, dance in a way helps build confidence and overall brightens your mood.