The student news site of East Mecklenburg High School

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle

The Eagle Archives

Can you stand the Stanley’s or hate the Hydros?

Photo by Gabrielle Messi
Stanley water bottle sitting at attention on student’s desk

As you pass through security, the scanners beep overhead, drawing attention to your water bottles. In a moment of silence, the clatter of your dropped Hydroflask or Stanley echoes, prompting every head in the classroom to turn. Whether it’s the scanner’s reaction or the collective groan from classmates, it’s questioned: Are these water bottles truly worth it?

Recently, there has been a surge in buying stainless steel water bottles to help reduce the ever-growing plastic problem on planet earth. Instead of the traditional plastic bottles that you’ll find in the packs at a grocery store, the newest way to combat trash on this planet is with reusable water bottles.

It has been found that it also benefits humans by reducing the ingestion of chemicals that leach from plastic bottles.

You’ll save a lot more money using a reusable water bottle rather than buying plastic bottles at the grocery store, especially how sturdy and convenient the water bottle is. 

But the main feature of these stainless steel water bottles? The thermoses. The technology that prevents water from losing or gaining heat means that you can keep your drink toasty or cool.

“I’ve had my hydroflask since 7th grade,”  junior Evie Demakis said, “It still keeps my water cold. I don’t see any reason to get a new one.”

The Hydroflask, created in 2009, exploded in popularity in 2019. When Gen Z coined the term “VSCO Girls”, the retro beach aesthetic, the Hydroflask was notorious for being a “must have”  accessory when participating in the summer nostalgia. Ranging in different colors, buyers have a wide selection to choose from.

“It’s like an emotional support water bottle,” senior Emmy Entrekin said, talking about her Hydro Flask, “I take it with me everywhere.”

It’s a sleek, lightweight water bottle that you can carry around anywhere to keep the contents of your drink at the preferred temperature. However, it is nowhere close to indestructible. If you accidentally drop it down a flight of stairs, hold your breath – the handle of the hydro flask is prone to breaking. So what is next to replace its retro vibe?

Introducing the causation of chaos at Target, selling out in minutes, the Stanley cup.

Created in 1913, the Stanley Tumbler or “Quencher”  is the new rave on popular social media apps such as Tiktok and Instagram. Building a multitude of positive reviews of having a straw and a hefty handle that comes in handy.

“When my old Stanley handle broke, I got a lifetime warranty and received a new one,” Polly Weaver, a sophomore said.

But what are the cons of holding this 40 ounce stainless steel water bottle in your hand? For starters, you can probably only carry it around in your hand. In your car holder, yes. Your backpack holder, not likely. 

“If you tip over a Stanley, It’s going to spill. Even if people say it won’t, it definitely will,” senior Elvis Andrade said.

The switching out and the coming in of these trends make us question whether buying the latest cup is taking away from the overall purpose of reducing our carbon footprint.

“Do whatever you want, but it also bad for the environment,” Demakis says, “We don’t need another water bottle,”

If the main purpose of a reusable water bottle is to reduce the amount of waste, it’s counterintuitive to go through these trends and forget about them after three months. It’s not necessarily eco-friendly to reuse something that’s reusable, just to throw away and use a reusable again.

“Everyone used to have Hydro Flask. Now everyone has Stanleys and Owalas,” junior Megan Lindsey said.

The sudden rise of Owalas make us come into question how much we give into the current trends from Tiktok. Enticing with its multitude of colors and multi-purposeful handle lock, the bottle had a steady arrival into social media.

But are they worth it?

Truly, any bottle is. It’s what you make of it and how you utilize it.  Having a cute, colorful water bottle can make someone motivated to drink more water and reduce waste, but we must be eco-conscious of our decisions. One is enough.