New Chromebooks coming for all East Meck students

Distribution starts week of Jan. 19

Story by Noel Martinez, Staff Writer

In the spirit of the New Year and starting fresh, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) is rolling out new Chromebooks for students.

East Mecklenburg announced over the winter break that they would be participating in the next round of the Chromebook refresh, which will start this month. 

In order to follow the state guidelines, students will follow a rotation schedule for two weeks to receive their new Chromebook. Every student will be asked to return their CMS Chromebook and charger and receive a new one to replace the older ones. Students must return the older Chromebook and charger to receive a new one.

The dates for dropping off and picking up chromebooks vary for each student because it will be based off of grade levels and your group for in-person learning. 

Distribution is scheduled to start Jan. 19 when we return to Plan B. Group A will trade out their Chromebook in the Media Center during first block on their assigned day and time the first week. Also, the 11th and 12th grade students in Group C & D will also come during the week of Jan. 19. During the week of Jan. 25 students in Group B will  exchange out Chromebooks during the first block. In addition, 9th and 10th grade students in Group C and D will come at their assigned time during that week. 

These dates are not final and are pending due to the possibility of the delay of Plan B. The school board is expected to release more information on that in the coming days. With rising COVID-19 cases there is the possibility that new Chromebooks may come a little later than expected.